Focus Youth For Year 7 to Year 9
We desire to see our preteens in our church community continue to build a strong foundation for their spiritual growth, and for them to develop healthy attitudes and relationships to prepare for their teenage years.
Focus Youth meet on Sunday morning, concurrent with the 10:30am service. The children attend the first 10-15 minutes of the service joining with the adults in worship through singing.
They then have a teaching time combined with discussion, prayer, challenges, games and other interactive activities to maintain interest and aid learning and spiritual growth.
The foundation of the curriculum are the principles of:
- I am created to pursue an authentic relationship with my Creator
- I belong to Jesus Christ and define who I am by what He says
- I exist every day to demonstrate God’s love to a broken world
We use a variety of curriculum programmes, to maintain interest and to enable us to cover the topic in the particular way we desire.
The plan for this year is:
- Term One: Shaped to Serve (Spiritual Gifts and Ephesians); Amazing Race – Amazing Grace (an interactive journey into the Easter story)
- Term Two: EXCEL; Missions: Tranzsend Campaign & 20/40 Hour Famine; ‘At Your Table’: What attitude is sitting at your table?, Sitting with dead people – choosing the right friends, What do you bring to the table?, and Words
- Term Three: ‘Splash’: Baptism of Jesus, Jesus & Peter walk on water, Woman at the well, and Jesus washing the disciple’s feet; Colossians – through the book Colossians looking at the themes of Jesus Community Warning & Kingdom Identity (part 1)
- Term Four: Colossians (continued): Kingdom Identity (part 2) and Conversation; and Christmas
Focus Youth after school hangout
We hold fortnightly afterschool hangouts for Preteens to help get to know each other better and help bond as a group. These events take place on a Friday afternoon, and includes a variety of games and space to hangout with friends. There is a $2 door charge to cover costs and afternoon tea.
Each term we also have a large event planned combined with the older youth which will usually have a charge to cover costs.
They have had events like:
- Team Challenges like Cluedo, Spotlight
- BBQ & Splash Attack to Waterworld
- Progressive & Regressive Dinners
- Car Rally/Scavenger Hunt
- Extreme Edge (Indoor Rock Climbing)
- Games Nights
- Leap (Trampoline Park)
- Famine Sleepover Weekend
We also encourage our Preteens to attend the Baptist Youth Ministries eCamp at Findlay Park over Easter. This is a great opportunity for them to be with like-minded others and be encouraged and grow in their faith.