Discoverers For 5 & 6 Year Olds
Children aged five and six are discovering the world around them. We want them to discover more about Jesus and how to live a life that pleases Him.
Discoverers helps our five and six year olds to make the transition from the Preschool programmes into a more structured teaching programme, appropriate to their age and learning capabilities.
Each Sunday begins with “Talk and Tell” time, giving the children and leaders a chance to interact in an informal way, and get to know each other.
This is followed by a more formal welcome and singing time.
A “Way In” then grabs the children’s attention for the lesson that is to follow.
The lesson material, including a Bible Story, is presented in a number of ways including storytelling, drama or play-acting, a video, or some other interactive method.
A discussion or interaction with the teaching material ensures that the application and/or message is relevant and practical to the children. The children are encouraged to handle, look up, and begin to read the Bible for themselves.
The series Memory Verse is taught and reinforced though interaction and games.
The session usually concludes with prayer and a relevant craft or activity.
The curriculum is based around the children learning more about God – Me – Others.
Because God made me, God loves me and Jesus wants to be my friend forever, therefore:
- I need to make the wise choice
- I can trust God no matter what
- I should treat others the way I want to be treated
We use a variety of curriculum programmes, to maintain interest and to enable us to cover the topic in the particular way we desire.
The plan for this year is:
- Term One: Growing with God (The Bible is our Guide, The Importance of Obedience, The Consequences of Lying, Words Can Help or Hurt, Being Kind Pleases God, Think of Others and Share with Them) and Easter (Amazing Race)
- Term Two: EXCEL, Mother’s Day, Missions: Tranzsend Campaign, Father God & Prayer
- Term Three: I am Special to God, Father’s Day, Being Friendly
- Term Four: Dr Seuss & the Bible – Persistence, Cooperatation & Faithfulness, Christmas (including our annual Christmas Service at the Alandale Retirement Village and Family Christmas Service)