Hamilton Central Baptist Church (founded in 1906) has a long and distinguished history. We’ve planted churches across the Waikato, supported missionaries overseas, cared for thousands of people from the cradle to the grave, and sought to faithfully proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ to our city — both in word and deed. And the work continues!
As current HCBC participants, we are guardians of an amazing legacy left by a former generation. They looked to the future, and they looked to the Lord, and they invested in what our church could become.
Every generation thinks about the legacy they’ll leave behind for the next. The Elders of our church suggest we’re at one of those points again, as we look to the next stage in our church’s journey. It is several decades since our church held a “Capital Campaign” and at a meeting of members last December it was overwhelming approved that we do so again.
In short, we want to try and raise funds to do a bunch of projects around our building that will set us up for the next phase in our journey. We’ve kicked around the figure of $200,000 as a target easily achieved, but that is certainly not a maximum!
- Our plan is to hold a special offering on Sunday 7th July.
- In addition to cash giving on that day, there will be opportunity to make a pledge for giving up to the end of 2019.
How will funds be deployed?
In presenting the idea of a “Capital Campaign” to members last December a number of projects were envisioned. Details are still being finalized and costed, but here’s a rough break-down:
- Creation of a Chapel at the (South) end of the gymnasium. A multi-purpose and rentable space for us by groups inside and outside the church. Useful for small congregational gatherings, weddings, funerals, etc.
- Replacing the folding doors separating the auditorium and the café (glass panel). Upgrading to contemporary décor, and a safe/inviting way to enter into the life of our services.
- Replacing the church van. We’ve been working on this for a few years and already have around $20k. We just need to get it done now!
- Sealing the carpark area adjacent to the end of
gymnasium. We desperately need this space and it will make an attractive entrance to the new Chapel, etc.
- Sprucing up the toilets at the southern end of the building. Everything works fine; just in need of some
21st century coloursand décor.
- PA System (Chapel or Totara Lounge).
- Purchasing of video equipment for recording aspects of services.
1.Firstly, the last thing we want to convey is pressure or a burden, so please don’t feel any compulsion — and as always,
2. Secondly, we’re simply asking those who comprise our church family to pray. Ask God how he might have us participate. Maybe as we do so a number/amount may come to mind — maybe even something that calls for faith and trust in God to provide.
3. Thirdly, we’re inviting members and friends of HCBC to see this as a strategic investment in the future mission of our church, as previous generations have done for us. Can we “tap” some of “that which we can’t take with us” for the sake of God’s mission in our church in the next generation?